Sunday, January 9, 2011

A tribute to K, ten at last

Today was my K's tenth birthday.  We didn't have a big celebration, just gifts and after church, a 3 hour Just Dance 2 marathon. 

 
Nana brought over ice cream cake. Yum!  And we made cupcakes for school tomorrow.

The big party's next weekend - the all-girl-drive-you-nuts-birthday-sleepover with grandparents included!  I tried to get out of it this year, but commercial parties are just so expensive and if you read my last post, you know that won't be happening.

I really am old-fashioned.  For instance, why do you have to give a goody bag to each kid as she leaves? 

1.  Was it not enough that they spent the night at your house?  trashing it all the while
2.  Fed them meals?  plus snacks and drinks?
3.  Not to mention cake and ice cream?
4.  And popcorn in fancy containers?  popcorn littering the living room furniture and floor.
5.  Entertained them with nail polish, movies, board games, music?  while the electric bill sky-rocketed from every single light being on "because we need them all on MOM."   Sure you do.

Shouldn't these party-goers just appreciate your gracious hospitality and the fact that you're insane by pick-up time?

When my brother and I were kids, we had parties that lasted a couple of hours or so.  Then everyone went home, happy they'd come over to play and gotten to eat birthday cake and ice cream.  If there was a sleepover, it was two or three girls tops.  We will have a total of 8 girls here next weekend!

Everything is such a production these days.  Don't get me wrong, I love entertaining, but geez, sometimes the cost of all this hoopla is downright outrageous.  So, with my newest sewing skills, K and I've made a few of these as gifts and for ourselves...


One for the man because he would feel left out without one.  One for K because she saw the man's and didn't know that I was going to surprise her with a HAPPY BIRTHDAY banner.  And we're getting ready to make a couple more for some other special girls. Virginia Cavalier colors, ya know.  Yep, that's how we roll here.  Ha, unless you're a spineless Tech fan!  Sorry, that'd be C.  We had to explain to K the other day, that UVa is a school for medical doctors and lawyers and such.  They don't have a veterinary medicine program, but Tech does.  Ugh, the thought, makes me shudder!

No, the banner's nothing spectacular but, you have to understand, I bought a sewing machine mid-Decemberish and up until that time, I've never used a sewing machine.  Didn't even know how to turn one on!  Well, not now, baby!  I'm becoming a sewing enthusiast.  So, I'm not that great at it yet, but I'm learning.  K and I couldn't be more excited to be taking sewing classes!

It all started here.  I saw this post and thought, I want to make that!  Christmas was nearing and in my husband's family, the kids draw names.  It just so happened that K got the baby of the family.  So, it was our destiny to create one of these softie dolls!  K and I went to Joann Fabrics.  We selected our materials when the lady cutting the fabric asked what we were making.  Typical small talk for the surroundings we were in.  So, I went into this spiel about the doll and I laughed when I said, I really have no idea how to sew, this will be interesting.  It was then, that she said, "You need to go over and talk to April."  April, the store manager of the Viking Sewing Gallery, mesmerized me with the 3-month old Husqvarna-Viking trade-in, she'd just gotten in.  A "starter" machine, for the beginner, that came with three 2-hour classes that you could repeat as often as you wanted.  If that wasn't me, I didn't know what was!  So, in 30 or 45 minutes, she showed me how to use it.  I brought it home, set up a sewing table in the basement and we went to work.  Three dolls later, we had perfected it.  OK, almost.

When we exchanged gifts, K opened the present for her baby cousin, the biggest smile shot across that baby's face and my eyes began to tear.  I can see that moment and that smile as vividly now as if it were just hours ago.  It just so happened that my sister-in-law had been searching for a "homemade" doll and thought the price of somewhere around $40 was a little steep.  There we were soaking up a twinkling instant of pure delight just seeing this child's face light up.  It was beautiful!

And as always, I've gotten off the subject.  Back to the reason we're here today...

I am excited that K is learning to sew.  I'm excited that I'm learning to sew!  I didn't have that opportunity when I was younger, my mom was a divorced mother of two trying to make ends meet.  There was no time for sewing, except for the common button repair.  So, I'm proud to see her make a simple banner.  Proud that she is interested in learning to paint and for her new love of Bob Ross' shows.  Proud that she has a love for reading, that she checks out a library book and within hours is finished.  Proud that she gets excellent grades.  Proud of her playing soccer.  It's exciting to see her bloom into this extraordinary girl, talented, bright and full of promise.  I hope that we can continue to offer her opportunity after opportunity to learn something new, that she may one day become a well-rounded, diverse individual with a love of many things.  I hope to nurture her, to encourage growth and development, and teach her to thrive as a strong Christian in this crazy world.  I hope her cup runneth over with family and friends who love her.  I wish her all of the happiness in the world and may you always see your glass as half full.  To this marvelously beautiful, remarkable, timid ten year old girl that I can miraculously call my own, I LOVE YOU K!  (You're now a decade old!  Sounds old, huh?)


~ Thanks to my friend, D for sharing her collage idea.  It's the perfect icing on the cake. ~



1 comment:

Comments