Thursday, July 7, 2011

some cheese for my whine, please

I'm beginning to wonder,  do I ever not feel tired?  Week after week I am exhausted by some crazy schedule and it's supposed to be summer!  A time for relaxing, right?

Last week ushered in a long, holiday weekend, refreshments for Bible study and back-to-back nights of studies that have just plain worn me down this week.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the studies that I'm currently attending.  It's just the thought of being gone, away from my family, that tires my mind, leading to a then, exhausted body.

It is my mind, it is my demise.  It's constantly running, filled with schedules, organizing, prioritizing and "home executive duties".  As a kid, it felt like school would never end and summer seemed to last forever. It's funny, once you grow up, how time flies. Our summer is half over!  This weekend, we have soccer on Saturday morning and a party that evening.  I am craving camping since late winter and it is relentless.  We have yet to do any camping.  Weekends are so busy.  Maybe a day by the pool with a good book would ease my mind?

After a trip to the Green Valley Book Fair last weekend, I've been reading A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas.  It's a fantastic, heart-wrenching read.  Makes me thankful for my normal, but busy, everyday life.  I am thankful for God's blessings of health and happiness. 

A Three Dog Life goes a little something like this...
'Australian Aborigines slept with their dogs for warmth on cold nights, the coldest being a "three dog night." - Wikipedia.'  Abigail's doorman calls to say, "Your dog is in the elevator." Why?  Her husband, Rich, was walking the dog.  Where is he?  Quickly, she finds he has been hit by a car.  When he begins to recover, it appears things will slowly go back to an almost normal life.  He seems pretty average with a few exceptions, but when the story finally unravels, it's evident that Rich will be forced to spend the rest of his life in a facility that specializes in brain injury.  Abigail finds herself in a new world.  Moving out of the big city, to a small, country town near the nursing facility where Rich now resides, she begins a new life.  With her dogs, a love for knitting and friendships,
she learns to survive this austere tragedy and in spite of everything, discovers gratefulness.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments