Thursday, October 21, 2010

Recruiting and promoting...

Just thought I'd share this email that I'm sending out, and of course, crazy, crazy photos of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.  You must know that anything goes at the 3-Day, there are people wearing the silliest outfits you've ever, EVER seen!  But it's all in good fun and the walkers get a kick out of it.  When I walked in 2009, I had 6 (yes, SIX!) blisters and at times, in agonizing pain, to smile and laugh at some of the things we saw, meant the world to me.  It gave me the extra uumph to keep going.  I hope you enjoy!


Hello everyone!  I apologize in advance for the length of this letter, but I wanted to tell you a bit about my 3-Day experience this year.  I also wanted to forward this email on...it is a $35 discount on the 2011 registration for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, meaning the normal rate of $90 will be reduced significantly to $55!  It's true, this WILL be the best discount of 2011.  Other discounts will be offered throughout the upcoming year, just less off.

This year, October 7th through the 10th, my mom, best friend and I crewed the 3-Day (meaning volunteer/staff, not rowing!)  It was a wonderful experience!  We were part of the 12 member "Check-In" team which meant as the walkers left in the morning and returned in the evening, we were there to hand them route cards (describing their day, pit stops, lunch, etc.), scan their badge, dance and cheer them on.  We had an absolute blast!  And no, we weren't worked to death.  We had down-time just like everyone else and we didn't have to choke down our meals.  It was a lot of fun!  I cannot begin to describe how powerful and moving the 3-Day is, it's something that you have to experience for yourself.  Before going to bed Saturday (our last night there), Tracy and I were talking about how silly it is to be so excited every year (even though it's only been 2 years!) for the 3-Day and how we talk about it literally ALL YEAR until it comes around again.  It's just an amazing thing, I can't say enough!

I encourage you to get involved!  There are lots of husbands who crew too.  So don't think just because you're a man, you can't get in on the fun.  Crew positions range from easy to strenuous and there are tons of positions available.  Bus liaisons ride the tour buses hauling walkers to and from camp and to transport those who are injured, needing to return to camp for the day.  There is Camp Logistics, members who put up signage in camp.  Clean-up crew monitor the trash and recycling efforts.  Tent and gear members set up and take down the camp.  Each day, Pit Stop members set up their tent along the route, serving hydration and snacks to the walkers.  Safety members either ride bikes or motorcycles and have posts where they help direct traffic and keep the walkers safe at all times.  Food Service members serve hot food to the walkers and crew.  Camp services manage posts in camp, such as the 3-Day cafe, the information tent and lost and found.  There are also positions for medical team members, i.e. doctors, nurses, EMT's and also Sports Medicine.  Full descriptions of these positions, lifting requirements and other info can be found at http://www.the3day.org/site/DocServer/3DAY2010_CrewTeamDescriptions_V03.pdf?docID=4121.

There are also volunteer positions.  These are usually one day (or night) jobs, depending on how involved you want to be.  These include night security, where you patrol the camp and main gate; staffing the 3-Day store; helping with Closing Ceremonies, the list is endless and the great thing is, you're not required to have experience - you will be trained at the 3-Day.  Find out more at http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer?pagename=crew_landing_2010#volunteers.

Before I go, I would like to thank you for your time.  More importantly, I would like to thank everyone who supported my efforts in 2009, whether you aided monetarily, emotionally, or physically.  I want you all to know how much I appreciated YOUR efforts.  Through you, I collected over $6,000 and walked 60 miles.  Everyone says, 'I don't know how you did it.'  Well as simple as it sounds, it was literally putting one foot in front of the other, that was the goal.  I knew I had to do it, not only for myself and my Mom, but for you - my supporters, those who said it wasn't possible and for those who have fought, are currently fighting, and those who have lost their battle with cancer, and lastly, for our future - our children and their children.  Here's to a cure!

I'm always available to answer your questions and will gladly tell you about my experiences with the 3-Day.  Just email and I'll be happy to give you a call or send an email back.  I look forward to seeing you at the 2011 Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.  Take care and God Bless!

Joyfully yours!



You asked for it, here's the photos...


Thursday, Oct.7th, was All-Crew Meeting day at Nationals stadium. 


Our meetings were in the conference rooms there.  I had to include these photos because stadiums bring a smile to my face.  And yes, I am always amused by the little things.


Day 1 - Check-In Team + Bus Liaisons
(Our theme that day was western, Bus Liaisons' was the 60's.) 


 Main Gate Entrance at Camp


The sea of pink


Yep, that's me!  Pumpin' up the ole air mattress for our oh-so spacious 6.5'x6.5' tent. 
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad.  Remember, I LOVE CAMPING!!!


Traffic Control gettin' down!  See, I told ya even the men have fun!


 Wow, I don't even wanna' go there...


Day 2 - 6:30a.m., Getting the walkers lined up and ready to go out on the route!


 Cheering Station on the route 


Day 2 - Crazy Legs Day.  The Fairy Godfather stuffed his bra with candy and pulled it out piece by piece to hand to the walkers.  He kept us in stitches, dancing and skipping around!


Day 3 - 60 miles down - our last cheering session together


And then there were eight - some of our teammates had already headed to the airport to catch their flights home.  We had members from Minnesota, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh,
and of course, Virginia.  Here, we're heading to the Closing Ceremonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments