Saturday, October 16, 2010

Faith and Encouragement

Well, the boys are out coon huntin', the kids are catching the new Scooby-Doo movie and I'm bored!  So, that gets me thinking about my friends and wondering what they're all doing at this very moment.  I check my email, nothin' but junk!  So, I decide to organize the top of the desk (we recently moved it, so the rest is clean, but there's the usual paper mess going on).  While, scanning the papers, I run across a pamphlet that a Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure walker handed me... 


We were standing around the portable heaters down at the shower area of camp, waiting to brush our teeth.  He was holding his hydration pack up to the heater because he hadn't screwed the top on straight and liquid had leaked out all over the pack.  It was 6:00 a.m. and 40 degrees.  He was getting ready to head out on the route for the second day, 23 miles through the neighborhoods of Maryland and he didn't need to be starting out with a wet pack.  The pack was drying pretty fast, he lowered it and out fell a bunch of pamphlets.  I bent down to help him pick them up and he offered me one.  I quickly glanced at it and started to tear up.  It read, "In Loving Memory - Kay Lynn Roberts 1961-2006".  Inside was a testimony and scriptures.  His wife, his high school sweetheart and mother of three had passed away at the tender age of 44.  I put it in my back pack and told him tearfully that I would have to read it later. 


I did.  Later that evening, when our duties were over, I laid down in our little pink tent, picked it up again and cried as I read it.  I knew, this was the reason why we walk, why we crew, why we were there at that very moment.  It was saddening, yet it drove me - to do more, to live each day for all it's worth and make the most of everything.  While I find myself in a foul mood from time to time, I try to think of how different my life could be.  I thank God for what I have, for the beauty of each day and everything in it.  I would like to share a couple of quotes from his website...


"To learn strong faith is to endure great trials. I have learned my faith by standing firm amid severe testings."  - George Mueller
 
 "The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety."  -George Mueller
 
  You can visit the site at http://www.kayroberts.com/
 
 I really like this...



"So encourage each other and give each other strength..."  1 Thessalonians 5:11

Wouldn't the world be a different place if we all did this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments