Saturday, February 12, 2011

3.14159265 + es

Doing this before I forget -
which cookbook I used.
which recipe I used. 
to post this at all.

My apologies, I do not have pictures of these pies.
You know I like pictures.
Was frantically baking on Friday morning
and just didn't take the time to photograph.

First, a little 'splainin'...
this recipe is the one my 95-year old grandfather uses.
And yes, he still cooks and bakes.  Amazing, isn't he?
It is the one my grandma used
and so my loyalty is to it until I dare to try another.

(*Note: he says to use "not quite" a 1/2 cup of cocoa, you can do as you choose.)
As for me, I trust his advice.
He's the sweets man in our family and after 95 years,
why shouldn't I trust him?
With this exception, everything else is typed word for word.

Chocolate Pie
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
(not quite) 1/2 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
a pinch of salt
1 pie shell

Have ingredients at room temperature.  Cream butter and sugar and salt with cornstarch.  Add cocoa and eggs and beat.  Blend in milk and vanilla.  Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes and reduce temperature to 350 and bake an additional 25 minutes or until done but, still soft in center of top.  Note: The secret to this delicious pie is in mixing the ingredients well.
Recipe by:  Mrs. Eugene Estes (Laura Smith)



This next recipe, I used on a whim.
Do you know how hard it is to find a recipe for pecan pie?
I think in the south they expect you to be born and bred
with this recipe ingrained in your genes.
It is literally one of two recipes for pecan pie
that I could find in my collection of 25+ cookbooks!
Sorry, getting off subject, as usual.

I slightly altered this recipe and typed it accordingly.


Pecan Pie
1 unbaked pie crust
4 large eggs
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
a pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup pecan halves, optional

Beat eggs and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.  Stir in chopped pecans; pour into crust.  Arrange pecan halves on top, optional.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
Source:  Southern Living - 30 Years of Our Best Recipes (copyright 2000)



Hope you enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo!!!! I shall pass along the recipe!!! AND I might attempt to make it myself!!! My dad is quite a pecan pie fan so maybe for his birthday or something I shall make this!!! :-) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments