Saturday, August 20, 2011

i'm just thankful

We hit the book fair today.
It was opening day.
And we were there when they unlocked the doors.
Because we also had plans for later.
I thought it would be mobbed,
but just the usual crowd.
Although, the longer we stayed the crazier it got.

Luckily, K's much like me,
she can't go more than 3 hours without eating.
Or at least having a snack.
So, at the 2 hour mark,
plus, add on a little over an hour that it took to get there,
she was spent.

This has become our trip.
Just us girls.
The two of us.


Yes, these are old, really old!












I let her spend her own money this time.
The threshold,
not set by me.
Only her.
And I was taken aback by her cautious spending.
She even put a few down,
saying if they were there next time,
she'd get them then.

She kept a running total.
At any given time,
 you could ask "how many do you have?"
Just meaning the number of books.
And she would tell you her running tally in dollars

Surprised me, she did.
I really thought she'd go all out.
And she used a coupon to get $5 off!
This all made me feel alright in the world.
Like I was raisin' this girl to be frugal,
a good steward.

We're even checking into selling the books online that we've read.
I'd like to think of it as kind of recycling.
Sort of.

Me, personally, I finally decided on these...
Chosen Forever is "a memoir of a horse, a book, and finding love" by Susan Richards.  I read her previous book, "Chosen By a Horse" and it was fantastic!  So, I can't wait to get into this one.

The Ten-Year Nap just sounded familiar, "the past decade has been defined largely by marriage and motherhood, but it wasn't always that."  I usually try to research the books on the preview page and while there were quite a few that had great reviews, they just didn't appeal to me, but this was one that wasn't previewed and it has mixed reviews, equally good and bad.  We'll see how it goes.

The Silent Gift, I found in the Christian Fiction and it just sounded interesting.  While I could've taken home quite a few from here and believe me, the lady standing next to me kept telling me this and that and this was great too.  She wasn't helping any, just made selecting one too difficult, but at least I know of some good reads I'll look for next go round.

My Book of Devotions about Obedience - A Guide for Parents & Kids was something I'd had my eye out for.  Just so happens, I found it discarded in the wrong section and it was meant to be, so I scooped it up!

Now, I couldn't forget the man, so I picked up 2 of the series that we have all come to know and love!  Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble and Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones.  As soon as we arrived, he exclaimed that I had to read these to him!  And then, he listened to the CD where Judy Schachner reads the story.

Later, we headed out to see a free showing of Dumbo and spend our Kohl's cash because it was the last day to use it!  K even splurged on these, using her own money again.  My argument being "you have enough shoes for 3 kids".  She'd been wanting them for some time since she adores the ones her cousin has.  In her defense, they were on clearance (cheaper than the price online even), and with 15% off coupon in hand, I put them on my card so she could get an even better discount and she paid me back when we got home.  I got the man a pair of dress shoes for when the cool weather ushers in for $6.81!  It was a good day for shopping!

The evening, mixed with fatigue and hunger, was trying my nerves.  It all ended well when I got a text from my SIL saying to call if we were still up.  It was C's nephew's birthday and since they live a good distance away, we don't see them as often as we'd like.  We had called earlier to wish him a happy birthday, but had to leave a message.  Being the only one up, I hit send and I was happy to ask the details of his special day while I sat alone in the living room, soaking in the conversation in the hushed stillness of the house.  I was excited to hear about his special gift and how he'd occupied his day, the upcoming party he was having and the woes of having an older sister.  We talked about his chickens, how they were starting to lay, and the excitement of getting eggs.  Things all too familiar, effortless to talk about really.  Nonetheless, it was good to hear their voices and the whole manner of it all eased me into a pleasant mood.

I am thankful for the little things today.  Time spent bonding with my daughter, time as a family, savings, and the simple, sweet conversations had with innocent youth.  Sometimes, the best things in life are free (and then some are discounted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments