Tuesday, October 30, 2012

a new do + sewing & a recipe

Saturday meant guitar and violin lessons, laundry and haircuts.  I've been thinkin' for a while now I wanted my hair short again.  It's been three years growing it out and I craved change, something new.  It goes along with life these days.  So, I told Miss Stylist to hack it off.  To stack it in the back and do whatever with the rest.  And so she did.  And I was pleased.  Although I admit to being a little fearful when she cut. and cut. and cut.  


No smile.  I'm all cheek bones and big teeth and half moon eyes when I smile.  So, today, I spared you that.  Instead, you get a smirk, giraffe neck and a wonky shadow.  Stay with me here, focus on the hair.

There's been talk of not coming home for Thanksgiving.  I'm a little saddened, but it would be a short trip of hustle and bustle.  It's tiring enough making the fourteen hour drive but then to run from house to house gorging ourselves on turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy whilst trying to keep conversation in between fighting off cat naps.  It does sound appealing though, doesn't it?  Until you realize that the number of days visiting = number of days driving, ughh.  Negative brother.

I've also been catching up on sewing...

- I made a flat iron case because that's become kind of essential when you're straightening and then need to jump in the car because it's 6:05am, you have 14 hours of driving and you needed to rock out at 6 (yes, I'm prompt like that) - now, you're stuck waiting for the flat iron to cool so you can pack it.  No longer a problem!  (Although, I don't require the flat iron anymore thanks to Miss Stylist and Miss K does no straightening that early!) Can you tell I have traveling on the mind?


- I busted this hat out tonight.  I admit, I'm pleased.  And not.  All at the same time.  (Thanks to the lamp for modeling it.  giggle.)


It was supposed to look like this (except on an adult and not so cutesy).  The pattern was an adult small yet only covered half my ear(s) and was a little too snug on top.  Not cool for the Illinois weather we've been having.  It all went awry somehow.  Only me.  The ruffle, which was not part of the look at all, is somehow cute in a 1920's sorta way.  In any case, it'll find a home with a happy little person somewhere.

-  Miss K asked for a new headband with a felt flower.  Though my glue guns are - you guessed it - at home and yes, this is a project requiring glue.  Figures.  So, it stands, unhappily unfinished.

 
Switching topics now...Instead of Terribly Terrific Toffee, this should be called Sin on a Platter because #1 - it's a sin not to make it, having only 4 ingredients that everyone has at home and minimal cooking required and #2 - it's a sin to eat only one.  My mom used to make this and I'd forgotten all about it until my addiction to Pinterest began.  So, today, I kicked out 2 batches and shared one with a friend.  I had to fight the munchkins off the second batch which we'll be sharing with more friends at a bonfire tomorrow night.  We call this "adult snack".  {Recipe follows.}
 
 
Terribly Terrific Toffee
1 cup unsalted butter (NO MARGARINE ALLOWED!)
1 cup brown sugar
1-12 oz. bag (or 2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
40 saltine crackers
 
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Place a flat layer of crackers out on the foil. In a small saucepan on medium heat, melt the sugar and butter until it reaches a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Pour this mixture over the crackers and spread to coat evenly. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the toffee becomes bubbly. After removing the pan from the oven, let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips, let them soften and melt, and then spread them into an even layer. (You can add nuts, cracker crumbs or whatever else floats your boat at this point.) Let cool in refrigerator until hardened. Break into pieces the size of your choice.
 
(Recipe courtesy of A Southern Grace)
 

5 comments:

  1. Well I LOVE the hair it's super cute and the picture wasn't so bad it was a nice picture!!! I am sure you can find someone up there that has a hot glue gun!!! And apparently I have an incomplete pantry because I can't make that magical stuff you put in the post...I don't have saltines!!! UGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I had to buy some too! Maybe they're not normal pantry staples? Just when you have the flu or a stomach virus.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! It reminded me of when you cut it like that. (Wow, that's been a while ago!)

      Delete

Comments