Tuesday, November 30, 2010

of babies and change

Am I really posting this?  Yes, I really am.  Blogging is like therapy.  I might shoot myself in the foot, but here goes...

So, to my own surprise, I'm getting the itch.  And I find myself pondering this strange situation.  Why?  Is it because of all the babies around?  Is it because my baby (now 4 years old) isn't a baby anymore?  This same thing happened when K was in her last year of preschool, too.  If we had another, would I feel the same again when that one was headed to Kindergarten??  Is this some type of vicious cycle?  Am I insane?!

Just yesterday, I asked the man if I could hold him for just a second and I smooched all over his little chipmunk cheeks while he giggled and attempted to squirm away.  I'd made a mental list of why I wasn't having anymore kids, I even posted a tiny bit of it here.  (OK, so I was fuming because I was having a rough day and feeling the SAHM blues, woe is me.)

Not long ago, I approached C with the subject of adding on (by the way, he wants four.)  I questioned him, Why do you want moreLess is more, I said.  Then, I proceeded on, keeping my list in the forefront of my thoughts and blasting away, shot after shot.  My intentions - to extinguish his desire to increase our family. 

Now, what the heck is going on.  Someone put on the brakes, who is this lady?!

Monday, I was talking to another SAHM of three.  A year apart in age, I'm intrigued by her presence, confidence, her solid faith.  She spoke of the pros and cons of her clan, having more - means more brokeness, if you will.  More chaos, more mommy, mommy, mommy.  Could I handle that?  Whew, sometimes it seems like an overflowing plate but, each day I say yes.  

Maybe this has something to do with it.  In a different way, I can relate so much to this..."my former self was small and inexperienced and a bit off track from what life is really about, I am realizing more that, while I have changed in good and needful ways, I am very much the same as well" - from Kelle Hampton's "this is it".  (One of my favorite bloggers!  If you're interested in reading more from Kelle start here.)  I too, have changed.  Now, I'm finally finding me and just like she says, "what life is really about."  C and I are in a good place.  More than ever, we are fitting together like a glove, learning to mesh and understand each other. 

I read this today, "...in church one Sunday the pastor talked about a very different kind of list: a to-be list.  He said that most of us are so busy doing that we forget to be - to be kind, to be peaceful, to be centered, to be loving." - Guideposts Jan.2009 from Jan Weeks, Grand Junction, Colorado.  These days, I am more confident, less anxious, more comfortable in my own skin than I've ever felt before.  I am becoming more patient, more loving, more settled.  Yep, definitely settled.  I am learning to be and it feels good.

2 comments:

  1. You are finding the same person I found 11 years ago! Or atleast the person God me to find. Someone so special and strong, someone ready to tackle the world, someone willing to stand with me when necessary and toe to toe with me when need be. Yeah, I found a prize when I found you years ago! A blessing straight from God. "You and me... we're good together." You've always completed me MK. lvu, C

    ReplyDelete
  2. when mine were little.....2 was enough....and today, sometimes i wish i had 4 or 5 adult children stopping in for visits or dinner....

    and grandchildren....oh i can't wait for those to come along :) well, i guess i can since they're only 22 and 19, but you know what i mean :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments